Fall Weekend Ideas
Summer may still be in full swing but we all know that Fall is around the corner. September is an amazing month in Colorado. Cooler temperatures recharge us, the changing of the leaves amazes us, and the anticipation of forthcoming holidays excites us. Mark your calendar for the following fall events and/or festivals:
- Leaf Tours – Any weekend in Sep - Treat yourself to a weekend in the mountains to experience the beauty of the aspens as they turn their vibrant and electric shades of orange and yellow. The largest contiguous stand of aspens is located on Kebler Pass, just outside of Crested Butte. After you drive the pass, take a hike to explore the trees in better detail, then treat yourself to a beer alfresco on Elk Avenue – just be sure to bring a sweater!
- Boulder Fall Fest – Sep 15-17 – Come to Boulder and enjoy live music, a beer garden, food trucks, children’s events, and more.
- Denver Oktoberfest – Sep 22-23 & 29-30 – There is beer, of course, and other more peculiar events like a Daschund Derby, costume contests, and polka dancing.
- Mountain Harvest Festival – Sep 21-24 – Where better to celebrate the harvest of all the wonderful produce that Colorado has to offer than in the area where much of it is grown? Travel to Paonia for their largest festival of the year and enjoy live music, a big farmer’s market, beer & wine tasting, a chili cook-off, local art vendors, and opportunities to tour local farms.
- Estes Park Elk Fest – Sep 30 – Oct 1 – Wildlife enthusiasts travel to Estes Park every year at this time to witness male elk and their harems during rutting season in Rocky Mountain National Park. The bugling, the sparring, and the sheer number of elk herds visible to spectators is an amazing experience. After a drive in the park, enjoy the events and activities downtown at the Fest including: the bugling contest (which is open to all ages), vendors selling elk products, and educational booths.