An Overview of Boulder County
Boulder County is known for its magnificent outdoor landscapes, vibrant business scene, and renowned academic & research institutions. Over 250,000 Coloradoans call this special region home. Each town within Boulder County offers unique small-town attributes while at the same time benefitting from the proximity to Denver, the Denver International Airport and the mountain resort towns. Our region is consistently recognized as an ideal environment for outdoor/active living, health, small-town living, and business start-ups. It’s no wonder that Colorado is one of the fastest-growing states in the country.
The tables below highlights top industries and major employers in our region. In addition to private industry, Boulder is home to three national laboratories: the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR), the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), and the National Institute for Standards and Technology (NIST).
|Major Industries||Number of Firms|
There are two school districts within Boulder County; Boulder Valley (BVSD) and St. Vrain Valley (SVVSD). BVSD includes schools in Boulder, Louisville, Gunbarrel, Lafayette, and Superior. SVVSD includes schools in Longmont, Niwot, and Erie. Boulder’s many universities, including the University of Colorado, provide world-class academic training. Refer to the table below to view average school ranks by school level for each town within Boulder County according to www.greatSchools.org.
|Snapshot of School Rankings|
|GreatSchools.org ratings are based on standardized test scores, student academic growth, and college readiness. Schools within the state are compared to each other. Ratings of 1-3 are considered "below average", 4-7 are considered "average", and 8-10 are considered "above average." www.greatschools.org (Q1 2017).|
Boulder County residents enjoy a variety of outdoor activities from hiking and mountain biking along more than 150 miles of trails, camping in the Arapahoe and Roosevelt National Forests, kayaking and fishing in Boulder and St. Vrain Creeks, boating and SUP at the Boulder Reservoir, and rock climbing on the Flatirons and in Eldorado Canyon State Park. Many residents embrace a "work hard, play hard" approach to life here in Boulder County. Whether it be enjoying the outdoors, attending concerts & museum/art exhibitions, or touring breweries & restaurants - there is something for everyone. Are you looking for ideas to grow more acquainted with our region? Contact us for an abundance of personalized info just for you.
Get to Know Boulder
- Enjoy a meal and show along the pedestrian portion of Pearl St.
- Visit the Boulder Farmer’s Market (Summer-Fall)
- Take a hike along the foothills – Visit one or all of Boulder’s infamous flatirons (the vertical rock outcrops rising out of the foothills above Boulder) or hike into the foothills along Boulder’s 151 miles of hiking trails.
- Tour the National Labs
National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) – Take a tour inside and visit the theater, art gallery, climate and weather exhibits, and supercomputers. This facility is also tucked right up against the Flatirons and is an ideal starting point for hikes.
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)- This facility offers weekly tours through sections of the laboratory and is geared towards educating visitors on the science and process of weather forecasting.
National Institute for Standards and Technology (NIST) – This facility does not offer public tours.
- Take a tour of Celestial Seasonings Tea Company
- Walk the Boulder Creek Path – this a paved path that runs east/west through Boulder. It is accessible off of Canyon Road and a great way to see the town.
- Enjoy brunch and a hike at Chautauqua – Established in 1898
- Take a brewery tour
Get to Know Louisville, CO
- Attend the Summer Street Fair
- Visit the Farmer's Market (Summer-Fall)
- Enjoy a beer or meal along Main Street
- Play bocce ball at Louisville Community Park
- Savor a pastry at Moxie Bread - voted top 12 best bakeries in U.S. by Bon Appetit
- Tour the historical museum
- Take in panoramic views of the front range at Davidson Mesa
- Bike along Coal Creek Trail
- Golf at Coal Creek Golf Course
Get to Know Lafayette
- Attend one of the cities festivals: Oatmeal Fest in Fall and Peach Fest in Summer
- Enjoy a beer or meal along Public Road
- Visit the Lafayette Flew Market
- Take the kids to WOW Museum
- Enjoy a walk along Coal Creek Trail (connects to Louisville)
- Walk along Waneka Lake
Get to Know Longmont
- Tour Left Hand Brewery, St. Vrain Cidery, or Wibby Brewing
- Hike Rabbit Mountain
- Visit the Longmont Museum and Cultural Center
- Shop and eat along Main Street
- Peruse the Farmer's Market (Summer-Fall)
- Take the kids to Sunflower Farm
- Swim at Union Reservoir
Get to Know Niwot
- Enjoy a meal or explore the many gift shops along 2nd Avenue
- Take home a freshly-baked pie at My Mom's Pies
- Take the kids to Niwot Children's Park
- Road bike from Boulder to Niwot and back again
- Peruse antiques at Wise Buys (one of the region's largest shops)
Get to Know Erie
- Golf at Vista Ridge championship golf course
- Attend Erie Biscuit Fest (Fall)
- Take the kids Anderson Farms
- Have a beer at Industrial Revolution Brewing Company
- Enjoy a meal along Briggs Street
Get to Know Superior
- Hike along Coalton Trail
- Shop at Flatirons Mall or the Super Walmart (technically Broomfield but adjacent to Superior)
- Shop at Costco, Super Target, Whole Foods
- Bike into Downtown Superior on the paved pedestrian trail system
- Enjoy a picnic at one of many parks in the Rock Creek neighborhood
Boulder County's real estate is in high demand. Median home prices are above the national average and homeowners benefit from fairly consistent appreciation year-over-year.
Are you moving into Boulder County and looking to buy a home? We are here to help you make smart, well-educated decisions regarding your house hunt and purchase. Contact us to start a discussion.
Median Sale Price of Residential-detached Single Family Homes in Boulder, Louisville, Superior & Lafayette (Interactive & updated daily)
Access more live real estate statistics of Boulder County and the towns within by clicking here.